Monday, October 3, 2016

One of us

I am truly fortunate. Where others have spent their lives seeking out their true purpose, I was born knowing what I wanted to do. Where others are forced into meaningless and routine jobs that slowly drain their lives and kill their soul, I am fulfilled and have never wanted for anything.

My existence is foretold. My purpose is just. I am Karma. I am Fate. I am the darkest night, and the brightest day. Evolution bends to my will.

I have no need to stalk you, because I live on your street. I have no need to spy on you, because you invite me into your homes. I do not hunger, because you sustain me.

Am I Death? No. Death is an inconvenience. Some may call him my brother, but to me he is nothing more than a friend who shows up when things are starting to get fun and ruins the party. I don’t like him very much, but he is pretty much unstoppable.

I have many names and many faces, all of them given to me by you. Truth be told, I look just like everybody else. My presence is unknown and unfelt until it’s way too late. Some have imagined me as a figure on a horse. I find it amusing that they felt that I have need of a horse or any form of transportation for that matter. I go where I please, when I please, and how I please.

Some of you even choose to help me. Today for example, I woke up next to a nice young man. We spent a lovely evening together, and I may have caused him to fall asleep a bit later than normal. I almost made him miss his morning shift at the pizza place where he prepares the day’s ingredients. I have to admit that I’m impressed that he was even able to make it to work after what I did to him last night. He was hot.

I spent the whole day getting to know his friends and the place he works. Nice people all around, and the food is actually pretty good. Only the freshest ingredients. I can see why it gets so busy in the evening.

He went home early because he wasn’t feeling too well, so I had to hitch a ride with his friend the delivery guy later that night. Another really nice boy. He doesn’t realize that this job could get you killed, but he’s too young to care.

He said he’ll drop me off wherever I wanted to go. It was really nice of him to offer. He doesn’t realize that he doesn’t have a choice in the matter, I just have a way of getting inside people I guess.


Like I said, I can go wherever I want and do whatever I please, but for now I am on your doorstep and you’re about to invite me in to meet your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment