Monday, November 1, 2010

The End of the Road

The start of the road

Looks strangely like the rest of it


I ride in no direction

I arrive at no destination

A jack-knifed semi on the road

Turned over spilling its load


Dead and face down in the dirt

A man wearing a plaid shirt

Looks up at me without a word

Then calmly flips me the bird


A road-side diner, open till late

Rows of cows lined up in wait

They serve them steaks in a frenzied haste

It’s not cannibalism, just an acquired taste


A little girl forces me to a halt

Her wedding dress as white as salt

Aiming at me with a little fling

A diamond strikes me, her wedding ring


I see myself old and wearing a dusty old suit

I flag myself down, with a hand raised in salute

I greet myself with a great big hug

And a knife in my back as I walk away all smug


The end of the road

Looks strangely like the rest of it

No comments:

Post a Comment