Monday, June 28, 2010

The Kings Banquet

As I slumber through the eve
I see a strange light
It’s warm and gentle
Like a midsummer night

It comes from above
From below and from the side
Like a blanket it covers me
From it I cannot hide

From within I hear a voice
It beckons me to come near
Quiet as a mouse
Yet loud enough to hear

It makes me feel at ease
I surrender to its power
I pray for my safety
As I approach the lighted tower

It seems to hold up the sky
Its pinnacles so tall
I open the gate
As I enter the great hall

A kings banquet is set
Sitting are guests galore
A trumpet sounds loudly
As the king enters the door

His mantle is thick,
His crown is so bright
He waves to his guests
A celebration tonight

His daughter is to wed
One of his proud knights
The city rejoices
At the kings delight

He signals to Lancelot
Come my brave knight
To you I give my daughter
To you this very night

But promise me this
For I cannot forgive
The sin of disrespect
Of this you will not live

Cherish her always
Be her loving light
Show her your love
My friend and knight

Your heart must be pure
Your love so true
My daughter so precious
This I entrust to you

Your patience will be tried
But I beg you do not tire
Try to forgive her
When to bed you retire

Love will be difficult
At times stressing
But go now sir knight
With your wife and my blessing

As the guests arise
On this night of enchant
They clap their hands
The knights leave they do grant

I turn to the king
And Lo and behold
A tear adorns his cheek
And his mantle of gold

THEY ARE TEARS OF JOY
He does proclaim
I am a father
Of this I have no shame

As he stands to leave
So old and so wise
He looks to me
And I shrink in size

Heed my warnings
My young little guest
To you and to all
Lancelot you cannot best

But try you may
And you may yet suffice
To have a wife of yours
You must always think twice

Can you learn to love
To respect and to cherish
If you answer aye
Your love will not perish

I turn to leave
This merry crowd
With the kings final words
I repeat out loud

Can you learn to love
To respect and to cherish
OF THIS I SAY AYE
MY LOVE WILL NOT PERISH

As the gates close
With an audible thud
I look back and thank
The lord, emotions aflood

Good fortune to you all
In your future endeavors
When life gets tough
Give up should you never

No comments:

Post a Comment