Wednesday, July 14, 2010

3amo

I've recently come to the realization that I am no longer part of the next generation, but instead I've become one of "them". "Them" being the previous generation. The old guys. This realization coming from the mouth of a 6 year old in the form of a very polite "3amo" (Uncle) during a recent shopping trip.

While I do appreciate the politeness of said 6 year old, I couldn't help but think "Who me??". I must have conveyed my confusion to her via the expression on my face, which I guess was somewhere between sucking a lemon and trying to solve a complex algebra equation in your head. The end result of said expression was to coax her into saying the blasted word a few more times "3amo, 3amo, 3amo".

As grown ups, we enjoy the luxury of education and experience to help us handle such situations, and my education and experience did nothing to stop her from saying it a few more time "3amo, 3amo, 3amo".

Now she was asking for it, so I did what any mature adult would do in my place, I stuck out my tongue at her and walked away. "Yeah, that'll show her" I thought smugly to myself.

As I walked away from her feeling all high and mighty, Something in the back of my mind was trying to tell me something. Was I wrong to do that? Did I hurt her feelings? Maybe I should go back and apolo … BEEP BEEP BEEP !!!

Oh yeah!! thats it !! I forgot to pay for the stuff I picked up.

I turn around and I swear I could just see the letters popping up above that little girls head.
R .. O .. T .. F .. L .. M .. A .. O.

3 comments:

  1. Take your pick: Bryan Adam's 18 GOING TO 55? Or Kid Rock's MAN I WAS JUST SIXTEEN, AND NOW I'M STARIN' AT THIRTY-SIX?

    Either way, the realization that we are the "older" folks is both depressing and bewildering. I'm not sure if I should look at how fast 30 years went by, or console myself that they were only 10 years of adulthood?

    Please help me through this phase, 3amo Haitham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure you really want me to give you advice.

    The day my birthday cake stopped fitting my candles is the day I stopped counting :)

    I was listening to the Song 100 years by Five for Fighting the other day. Let me tell you, that song took on a whole new meaning lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to this wholeheartedly!
    You know what they say; you're only as old as how you feel inside. This is why "What's my age again?" by Blink 182 is one of my favourite songs ;)

    ReplyDelete