Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mindless Sheep?

I just had the pleasure of watching a clip on youtube showing a Sheikh talking about what the word Pepsi stands for. In his opinion (or what he considers to be a fact), Pepsi stands for Pay Every Penny Saving Israel.

While my knowledge about Pepsi's business practices and their financial backing of certain countries is pretty low, I seriously doubt the authenticity of this claim.

The first question that comes to my mind when I hear a claim like this is simply "Why?". Pepsi is a mega-corporation. They rely on the sales of their products to create profits. These profits are then used to finance R&D to create other products and as dividends to their shareholders. So, pulling a stunt like this is counter-productive to them. So why risk their business? Just to spite us? What is this, 4th grade? Are legitimate businesses now going to stoop to name calling? Why Israel? Why not the Columbia drug cartel? At least that way they can make some extra profits while they're at it (and make a damn good Pepsi).

He then goes on to explain how a penny is 1/1000 of a dollar. I'm not a genius, but I do know to google something I'm not so sure of before I claim it to the entire world. But, to his credit he does say that he is not sure about all this, and that the information he got was from his young son. Yeah, nothing cements your credibility like citing your source as an 8 year old boy.
Please understand that I'm not bashing this guy, he may have done a lot of good over his lifetime, and I'm not the one to judge him in the end, but in this video, he probably should have just skipped it.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've heard of this. Trying to find patterns or subliminal messages in everyday products seems to be a trend in our society. Since I can't convince people of my views, I'll link it to something we all feel passionate about to prove my point. It's shallow and unnecessary. If you have something to claim, do your research and stand up in front of the world and say it out loud. Conspiracy theories are better left to novelists and TV shows.

Just to prove my point, I'll show you that anyone can do this. Just watch:

T.N.T. : Try Not to Touch (Good advice really)
PC : Praise Christ (I bet all you programmers hate yourselves now)
Mac: Make Alcohol Cheaper (Only cool people use Macs)
Sega: Silence Every German Author (most likely a British plan)

See, Anyone can find meaning in everyday stuff (maybe not the T.N.T.).

I beg you society, stop being mindless sheep. If anything, this is actually what they want, and you're playing right into their hands, just like a mindless sheep would.

2 comments: